Sunday, August 23, 2009

Silhouettes and Scrying...


aside from working with needle & thread, one of my favoroite things to make are

SILHOUETTES...
I even love the word...
silhouette...
...it rolls of the tongue like a decadent dessert...

I began snipping paper waaaaayyyy back in my teens..

being from a PA German heritage, my Mom's side of the family was always

ummmm......well, let's just say,

"crafty"

I can remember my Aunt Dorothy
(I called her Ant Dot)

painting in oils, snipping silhouettes,
and (I thought)...
she had thee most wonderfully decorated house in all of CT.

the outside of the house was Federal Blue
(not common then)
...and had a humongous Wisteria vine growing up the back porch,

where, as children, us cousins would sit in it's shade & ponder great things...

All the while, Ant Dot would be in the house,
making us grilled cheese 'samwiches'
or creating some form or an other of a
Masterpiece....

I remember smelling the turpentine and linseed-oil...
holding her nubby,
but still useful paint brushes in my little hand,
and being completely awestruck at her work-in-progress,
which always held place-of-honor on her oak easel in her dining room....
...always wishing I had the patience and talent that bestowed her...

I am fortunate to be able to visit my Ant Dot, when i visit CT...
which is usually every June...
she is now in her late 80's...
her once supple hands can no longer hold a toothbrush,
let alone a paintbrush...
from the crippling arthritis she suffers from...

but, somehow...I have recieved her gift of creativity...

I Thank You, Ant Dot

...for the blessing.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i have just listed a paper mache box on ebay~
(the one you see pictured above...)
the entire time i was snipping away paper, I was thinnking of my beloved aunt...
I hope it pleases you well...
Blessed be, friends...
let your creativity shine on for all to enjoy...
~Lori~

So much more to read....