Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sewing Needfuls and Old Beliefs~

For years, I've collected sewing needfuls...
pincushions, make-do's, scissors, thimbles,...etc.
I recently received an email from my friends Sherry regarding a pair of
antique Salem Witch souvenir scissors on ebay~
Soooo, without hesitation, i bid.

Needless to say, the scissors were fabulous, and went for over $200.00
~ slightly (ahem) out of my budget.

Sherry was kind enough to search out ebay, as she is known to do, and found a pair of replica
Salem Witch scissors, for just $39.00!
WOOHOO!
I hit that Paypal button lickety-split
and hopefully will have my shiny little scissors
in my needy little hands very soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, here are some OLD beliefs pertaining to Witches...
(but we know these are just Folk Tales)
...don't we,... my pretties???


A Witch can also be called a hag or crone, words associated with lone women.
... even though there were male witches,
the word is still most associated with the female sex.

Witches can fly - an explanation for quick movement across impossible distances.
the broomstick is added, as it was a common tool of women.

Old crones or hags, with no male partner, were often accused of being a Witch.

A woman living alone, especially in the woods, was (is) considered a Witch.

Lone women with pets, especially cats, were considered Witches with a familiar.
The pet was considered helpful in casting spells...

Wise women, with knowledge of herbs, were considered Witches,
especially if they brewed their remedies over a caldron.
...these women frequently had knowledge of mandrake, monkshood,
belladonna, and hemlock,
items that could be dangerous in ignorant hands.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, I'm off to weed my garden, then stitch some samplers...
maybe I'll concoct a little 'something' in my kitchen tonight from my fresh herbs....
or stain my samplers with black walnuts...
I will definitely haunt my mailbox until my scissors come!!!!

Wishing you all Peace & Prosperity
*BLESSED BE*
~Lori~

So much more to read....