Thursday, October 1, 2009

{ October }

"Halloween. Sly does it. Tiptoe catspaws. Slide and creep...
But why? What for? How? Who? When!
Where did it all begin?
'You don't know, do you?'
asks Carapace Clavicle Moundshroud
climbing out under the pile of leaves under the Halloween Tree.
'You don't really know!'

- Ray Bradbury, The Halloween Tree


"Lady Autumn, Queen of the Harvest, I have seen You in the setting Sun with Your long auburn tresses blowing in the cool air that surrounds You.
Your crown of golden leaves is jeweled with amber, amethyst, and rubies.
Your long, flowing purple robe stretches across the horizon.
In Your hands You hold the ripened fruits.
At Your feet the squirrels gather acorns.
Black crows perch on Your outstretched arms.
All around You the leaves are falling.
You sit upon Your throne and watch the dying fires of the setting Sunshine
force its final colors in the sky.
The purple and orange lingers and glows like burning embers.
...Then all colors fade into the twilight.
Lady Autumn, You are here at last.
We thank You for Your rewards.
We have worked hard for these gifts.
Lady Autumn,
now grant us peace and rest."

- Deirdre Akins


"I will dance The dance of dying days
And sleeping life.
I will dance In cold, dead leaves...
A bending, whirling human flame.
I will dance As the Horned God rides Across the skies.
I will danceTo the music of His hounds Running,
baying in chorus.
I will dance With the ghosts of those Gone before.
I will dance Between the sleep of life And the dream of death.
I will dance On Samhain's dusky eye,
I will dance."

- Karen Bergquist, An Autumn Chant



"Tonight as the barrier between the two realms grows thin,
Spirits walk amongst us,
once again.
They be family, friends and foes,
Pets and wildlife, fishes and crows.
But be we still mindful of the Wee Folke at play,
Elves, fey, brownies, and sidhe.
Some to trick, some to treat,
Some to purposely misguide our feet.
Stay we on the paths we know
As planting sacred apples we go.
This Feast I shall leave on my doorstep all night.
In my window one candle shall burn bright,
To help my loved ones find their way
As they travel this eve, and this night, until day.
Bless my offering,
both Lady and Lord
Of breads and fruits,
greens and gourd."
- Akasha, Samhain Ritual


Wishing you all a Plentiful October,
Blessed be,
Lori

So much more to read....